Monday, August 18, 2014

Packing House

    We have moved a lot since being married. 
                             Around 17 times in 14 years of marriage. 
I've kind of lost count.
           
            Let me be clear-- I hate packing!  But, I have figured out a system that works for me.

        

Packing can seem like an insurmountable task

1.  START EARLY!  I usually start packing as soon as I know we are planning to move. Or at least start sorting, organizing and getting rid of stuff which makes packing easier.

2.  DO SOME PACKING EVERYDAY!  I don't have the energy or time to pack for hours and hours.  So, I make it a point to pack at least one box everyday, or as much as I have the time/energy for.

3. KEEP THE ROUTINE AS NORMAL AS POSSIBLE!  This is especially important when you have kids.  We will continue school until just a few days before we leave.  I still cook meals at home until about a day or two before hand.  I try to go about life as normal as possible to reduce the stress levels of everyone.  This depends a lot on...

4. PACK EVERYTHING...ALMOST!  I pack up "everything" of things that we don't use all the time- games, books, even most of the pots, pans, etc. etc.  I DON'T pack one pot, one pan, a few utensils, a few plates, our clothes, the kids favorite toys... Those essential things for daily living I keep out until the day before we go.  I make sure we have as many "non-essential" things packed as possible and leave the rest out so we can continue living as we prepare to move.

          We are excited to be moving to a new area.  Now, you'll have to excuse me.... I have some packing to do!

No comments: