Sunday, August 2, 2015

What do we do for fun?

We are still on school break, although school will be starting up again next week for us. 

      As most families during a school break, our kids act bored and want to be entertained.  If I allowed them, they would sit in front of a TV, computer or Wii all day.  However, I want more for them. 
 
    I want their childhood to be filled with memories of tree houses, bike rides, playing with Barbies and Legos, coloring in coloring books, and making forts.  If everything they do is on a video game, what real memories will they carry of their childhood with them into adulthood?  This is a magical time, where imagination can grow and dream.  I don't want an electronic device deaden that imagination.

 Nature Valley put out a video about what three generations did for fun as kids. Nature Valley Video

 Another concern I have is that if they are entertaining themselves electronically all the time as children, what will they do as adults? Will they only know how to interact with the world through their phones? I forgot my Phone video 

    One thing that we do at our house, is have "No TV or electronics day" on Sundays.  No movies, video games, e-mail, etc. for one day.  At first (for a few months) the kids would complain most of the day.  But, they have started to find things to do.  We usually go out on Sundays and spend time as a family, or have company over.  I like to remind ourselves that we don't "need" to be entertained electronically.

No comments: