Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Are Homeschooling and Boarding School Mutally Exclusive?

Usually when you think about homeschooling, boarding school isn't a part of the picture, right?

 
I mean, homeschooling is all about being together as a family
 
and boarding school is about
sending your kids AWAY.
 
 
 
    Right?
 
 
            Not always.
 
   When living in East Africa, sometimes the culmination of your homeschool career is to go to boarding school for high school.  My husband went to said boarding school, as did his brother and his wife.  As did many other missionary kids from years past, present and future. 
 
      I always said I would never send my kids to boarding school, when I found out that this was a common option for missionaries in East Africa. 
              But, what if my daughter is asking to go?!
 
 
 
 This was not in my plans, and God knows I never wanted to send my kids away.... but what if it isn't Sending Them Away?   What if it's Letting Them Go?    
 
                               Our final decision isn't made yet, but we are looking into our oldest daughter starting boarding school in a Christian boarding school in Nairobi in 8th grade.... which would make next school year her last year of homeschooling.
 
 
 So, how do I reconcile homeschooling my kids with boarding school?
 
 
                                            Good question.  I'll let you know....

No comments: