Monday, April 14, 2014

Carving out Time for Yourself as a Homeschool Mom

 When you homeschool, it feels like you are surrounded by people (mostly your offspring) ALL the time, from dawn til dusk and sometimes in the middle of the night too!  I'm an introvert, and I cherish time to myself... so...
                           HOW DO YOU FIND TIME TO YOURSELF?
 Here are 5 ideas of ways to steal some precious moments alone to help your sanity!

     Get up before the kids do!
This one is vital for a productive day, I feel.  Even though we are pretty relaxed about when we get up, I make sure I am up an hour, or at the very least 1/2 hour before the kids.  This gives me time to pray, read the Bible, exercise if I'm ambitious, and clear my thoughts before it "hits the fan". 

      Stay up later than they do.
  At night, I put the kids to bed around 8pm.  My older daughter doesn't sleep til about 9pm, but she has to stay in her room and play or ready quietly.  My husband and I can talk, watch TV; if I had a really stressful day I'll just zone out with a book or on my computer.

       Saturday mornings are for sleeping in!
  The kids know not to bother me on Saturday morning.  They know how to make toast, and turn on a movie... and to leave me alone until I emerge!

      Shopping day is MY day
  When I go grocery shopping, I take along a book or my Kindle and go to a restaurant and order a coke and have a half hour to myself before shopping.  This works because Bill can stay home with the kids.  I do recommend shopping alone or with only one child at a time if you can possibly do so, it's a lot less stress.

      Tell your kids to Go outside and Play!
   While I'm cooking dinner, I like to have some peace and quiet in the house.  It's also when all the neighborhood kids are out.  So, I send the kids outside for the hour that it takes to make dinner.  It's good for them and me.  If not outside, send them to watch a movie while you cook.

    Have a nice day!

No comments: