Saturday, March 22, 2014

Childhood Freedoom

           I just read an amazing article about an Adventure Playground in Wales called "The Land".  I highly recommend reading it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/03/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/

  The playground has no typical playground equipment such as slides, swings, etc.  Instead it is filled with junk such as used tires, old mattresses and barrels.  The children who play there are supervised by "playworkers" who watch the kids but rarely interfere with their play.  I think that this is a wonderful idea and that more of these Adventure Playgrounds should come around, especially in America.  They give children a chance to take risks and chances, and learn from their mistakes.
       That is one thing that I really do love about living here in Africa.  No, we don't have a fancy Adventure Playground with paid staff.  Instead, we have a neighborhood full of kids who are out playing on the streets, riding bikes, having sword fights with old plastic pipes or sticks, or making hide outs in the corners of the compound. 
         I grew up in the woods, and one regret is that my children don't have the opportunity to live in the woods like I did.  But, one thing that is the same is that sense of freedom.  My brother and I would wander our small patch of woods, and have "secret" forts, climb trees, eat edible weeds, and "bake" clay dishes on our BBQ pit.  Our kids are growing up with a little bit of that.  I do appreciate that there are armed guards at the gate of our compound.  Within the walls of our neighborhood, I basically let our children run free.
        Our kids are still normal kids though. If I allowed them to play video games and watch TV all day they would never go outside.  Sometimes I force them to go out and play even when they don't "feel like it".  Usually in five minutes they've found a group of friends and are playing until dinner.
         Not everyone has a neighborhood like that.  And, in America, I am much more vigilant- never letting the kids play out of my sight.  Somehow, here it's different because all the moms are home (mostly Indian mothers), and are also watching out of their windows.  We have security measures like a wall around our neighborhood and armed guards.  It feels ironic, but it feels safer here to let the kids run free and play.

No comments: