Sunday, March 30, 2014

Special Time

 I've talked about having Special Time with the kids before, but I feel that its so important that I need to bring it up again.
     
        As a homeschool mom, it often feels like you are spending every waking moment with your kids.  (That is mostly true, but not entirely!)  But, because much of that time is instructional, or telling them things they need to be doing. "Take a shower" "Feed your pet" "Pick up your room"... there needs to be some time set apart each day to spend with each child... separately.

          This has become a very important part of our day.  For my older girl, it might be a walk up the "mall" to share a coke, or reading aloud to her.  For my younger daughter, it could be coloring together, or playing cards.  For my son it could be playing blocks or just going outside to play together. 
      I specifically tell them, "This is our special time together."  The other two children aren't to join in.  They each have 1/2 hour of computer time a day, so they can play on the computer or just entertain themselves while I spend time with their sibling alone.
                         
           Why do I feel this is so important?
                                   Individual attention!  Love!
 
     Don't you love it when your spouse puts aside time in their day to spend with just you?  Our kids also want our attention, and time... one on one.  This might seem insane when you already spent all day in school together but I have found that overall mood improves when we have Special Time.  Sibling rivalry *decrease*  (nothing would eliminate it entirely), and joy is increased.  The children are more willing to help out around the house, and aren't as antagonistic. 
         To be honest, my day is mostly filled with school, and then special time until it's time to start dinner.  But, I really do enjoy these moments with my kids, and feel that these moments are creating memories that will last a lifetime.  Of course, we all play together and have family time as well. But, I want to get to know each child as an individual.
Heather helping me bake for Special Time.

No comments: